Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Build Session 15 (45 mins): Rear Battery Rack Cross Member Bending

Not much time again tonight...but it was enough to cut and bend a piece of 3 inch flat bar for the rear battery box rack. This piece will provide cross support for the rear battery rack. The flat bar is 1/4 inch thick. I cut it 68 inches which turns out to be a 1/2 inch or so to long (I'll fix that tomorrow when I weld it in place).

I convinced my oldest son Matt to step away from his laptop long enough to work square up this piece and help me bend it.
Using the torch to heat the steel...
Matt is learning how to use the torch...he did a great job!
Me...trimming the acetylene...
Preparing for the third bend...
Not much leverage so Matt used the sledge on this bend...
The new 3 inch cross bar sitting in place... I plan to trim the ends down an inch and weld it in place tomorrow.

A video of Matt using the torch.

No comments: